Preparing for 2019/20 Payroll Year End
Article ID: 2025122 Last updated: 20 March 2020
There are a number of things you can do to ensure you are fully prepared for a smooth payroll year end process.
As an employer running payroll, you will need to:
• Submit a 'Final Submission' to HMRC for the tax year ending 5 April 2020 and give your employees a P60.
• Prepare for the new tax year that starts on 6 April 2020.
The full Payroll Year End Guide 2019/20 can be found by clicking here.
What you will need to do
|Send your 'Final Submission' declaration with your last Full Payment Submission (FPS) of the year.||On or before your employees' last 2019/20 payday *|
|Give your employees a P60||As soon as possible but latest 31 May **|
|Upgrade to AccountEdge Plus 2020||From late March 2020 ***|
|Update employee and employer payroll information for the coming year 2020/21||From 6 April|
|Send the last Employer Payment Summary (EPS) of the year - if required||By 19 May ****|
Note: The FPS 'Final Submission' submits a standard FPS submission but additionally includes your end of year declaration. To send the Final Submission, simply tick the Final Submission option when submitting your very last employee FPS of the year.
* The HMRC online gateway will close on 19 April for year 2019/20 FPS submissions and corrections.
** You should produce your P60's as soon as you can after processing the last 2019/20 pays, and before you start a new payroll year in your company file. You will not be able to produce P60's after you have started the new payroll year 2020/21.
*** You will need to be using AccountEdge Plus 2020 to process pays dated 6 April 2020 or later. However, we recommend you upgrade to version 2020 as soon as it becomes available in late March. There is no need to wait until after you process your last 2019/20 pays, or until after you start the new payroll year before upgrading.
We will email all customers as soon as AccountEdge Plus 2020 is available for download. If you do not receive an email by late March, please go to the AccountEdge Support page to upgrade.
AccountEdge 2020 will require macOS 10.11 El Capitan to macOS 10.14 Mojave.
AccountEdge 2020 will not operate on macOS 10.15 Catalina.
**** You only need to send an Employer Payment Summary (EPS) if:
• You need to inform HMRC about a reduction to the liabilities you will pay them for the final month of the year (this does not include Employment Allowance). For example, for recoverable amounts in respect of payments for SMP, SPP, OSPP, SAP, ShPP, ASPP or other recoverable amounts such as NICs holiday claim and CIS deductions taken from your payments as a subcontractor if your business is a Limited company.
• You forgot to tick the Final Submission declaration on your last Full Payment Submission for the year.
• You didn't pay anyone in the final period of the tax year.
• You sent your last FPS early and you didn't pay anyone for 1 or more full tax months in the last tax year.
We recommend you additionally review HMRC's end of year guidance, which can be found by clicking here.
Order Your 2019/20 Form P60's Now
As an employer, you must provide a P60 to employees working for you at the end of the tax year.
For those using the AccountEdge Plus payroll, P60's can be printed onto HMRC's pre-printed forms.
If you have not already done so, we recommend that you order your form P60's from HMRC now, in preparation for printing them at year end.
Note: It can take up to seven days to receive your P60 forms from HMRC.
How to Order P60's Online
You can order your form P60's directly from HMRC by clicking here.
You will need to order:
'P60 (SingleSheet/Shortened) (2019 to 2020) - Certificate of Pay. For manual completion or with a Laser Printer.'