Deleting a Customer, Supplier, Lead or Employee
Article ID: 2025231 Last Updated: 15 May 2018
You can delete customer, supplier, lead, and employee contact cards that you no longer need.
A contact card can be deleted if it is not being used in:
· a quote
· an order
· an invoice
· a bank entry
· a paycheque
· a recurring transaction
If transactions exist for the card, you will need to delete the transactions before you can delete the associated card.
- Before deleting any information, ensure you have taken a backup of your company file. For more information about backing up your data, see here.
- Speak to your IT administrator if you are in any doubt about your backup and restore procedures for your AccountEdge data.
- The deletion of records cannot be reversed and will require you to restore a backup in order to undo the process, or to view any deleted records.
- You should be careful about deleting records that haven’t been included in necessary reporting. After records are deleted, they will no longer appear in any reports.
- You are responsible for ensuring that you do not delete any data that is required for accounting, audit, or other legal purposes, by selecting the appropriate records to delete.
To Delete a Contact Card
- Go to the Card File menu> Card List.
- Locate and highlight the card you wish to delete.
- At the top of your screen, select Edit> Delete Card.
If the card cannot be deleted you will be presented with the reason.
Identifying Card Transactions
A useful way to view transactions that are attached to a card is to run the Card Transactions Report:
- At the top of your screen select the Reports menu> Index to Reports.
- In the Index to Reports, select the Card File tab.
- Highlight the Card Transactions report and click the Customise button.
- At the top of the Report Customisation window, click the Cards selection button '‣'.
- Click the tickbox at the top of the Selection window to deselect all cards, then locate and reselect the required card. Click OK.
- Set the Dated From as 01/01/01 and To as 31/12/9999 to pickup all possible transactions.
- When you are happy with your selections, click Display.
- Examine the list of transactions. Tip: You can click directly into transactions from the report to examine them more closely.
Deleting and Purging Transactions
- Details about deleting individual transactions can be found here.
- Details about deleting batches of transactions can be found here.
Anonymising cards if you are unable to remove all transactions
There may be occasions where you are unable to delete a contact card due to being unable to remove all transactions from the card.
If you determine that you have no legal reason to retain a card or its information, you may wish to consider anonymising the card so that it can no longer be identified.
- Details about anonymising cards can be found here.