Authorising Making Tax Digital
Error 403 - Client or Agent not Authorised
Article ID: 2025240 Last updated: 4 March 2020
When authorising Making Tax Digital, or attempting to Set VAT Period, you may receive the following error:
Resolving MTD Error 403
1. If you have previously submitted VAT returns for the affected company from AccountEdge, go to step 3.
2. Have you signed the affected company up to Making Tax Digital? Remember, HMRC will not automatically move your company's VAT account to Making Tax Digital.
- If you have not yet signed up to Making Tax Digital, you can do so by clicking here.
- If you have signed up to Making Tax Digital, check that you've received HMRC's confirmation email. Go to step 3.
3. If you've received HMRC's confirmation email or have previously submitted VAT returns for the affected company from AccountEdge, please logon to the company's government gateway account and confirm the following:
- Your company's account is fully setup for Making Tax Digital.
- You are informed that you can no longer make manually entered online VAT submissions.
- You can see previous VAT return submissions made from AccountEdge for the affected company.
- The company's VAT Registration Number in AccountEdge matches that of the government gateway account for the affected company.
- In short, are you using the correct government gateway account with which to authorise AccountEdge for MTD?
4. If your online account appears to be correct, please do the following:
- Make a backup of your company file.
- In AccountEdge, go to Setup> Company VAT Information and untick 'I use AccountEdge for MTD VAT Return submissions'.
- Follow step 2.4 of the VAT & Making Tax Digital Guide to authorise AccountEdge for MTD again.
5. If the problem remains, please contact HMRC directly and ask them to:
- Check and confirm the registration details and status of your gateway account for the affected company.
- Check and confirm that your business VAT account is not linked to any other HMRC services or accounts, such as personal self assessment accounts, or similar.
- Check for any problems with your MTD security token.